The story of Zahra Clare Baker is a blatant example of a child in need is in trouble indeed.
Zahra was in a fight for her very life from the cancer already wreaking havoc on her 10 year old body and responsible for the loss of her leg and her hearing. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the only fight she was waging.
Zahra’s step-mother has now been arrested after days of local news reports and Amber alerts being issued all over North Carolina and beyond. It would seem that this little girl is not missing at all.
The search for this child was complicated by the fact that no one seems to have been able to provide reliable information about when she was last seen. She was 10 years old, how is it possible no one knows when she was last seen. Her father reported seeing her sleeping at about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday and could not seem to recall when he saw her after that.
Neighbors and even relatives are now reporting some of the following known details:
1. Her home life was miserable.
2. She was actually locked in her room for most of the day.
3. She was allowed out 5 minutes a day to eat.
4. She was beaten almost every day for the smallest of reasons.
5. Neighbors never saw Zahra though they were in awareness that a child lived in the house.
6. Her father reports it is possible that his wife could be involved in the disappearance of his daughter indicating that her treatment of his daughter was not an unknown to him.
7. Relatives observing the dynamics between her step-mother and Zahra witnessed her escalation of anger toward this child for incidents described as minor or nothing at all.
8 Lastly, and most devasting the following comment by a relative, “I just think this was something for a long time that we knew was going to happen, everybody that was close to the family.”
9. IF THEY KNEW AND THEY SAW IT ALL HOW COULD THEY SAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
A CHILD IN NEED IS IN TROUBLE INDEED!
It is my most fervent belief that Zahra is now safely in the arms of God and I will be in St. Lawrence Basilica praying for her after we finish breakfast today. I will be praying for those who remained silent too. I am sure they will need it.